As a part of the RoughRiders organization, interns will be exposed to the inner workings of a professionally run hockey team. Specifically, interns will receive the opportunity to become involved with game night operations, marketing research and special projects. All interns will be required to handle computer applications with emphasis on Microsoft Office programs (i.e., Excel, Word, etc.). In addition to working games, interns will have the opportunity to work in the office environment during the season. The semester will offer a chance to learn the daily regimen of a sports franchise, meet important contacts, and the chance to be involved in many aspects of the operation.
Interns will be educated in the following:
- Community and public relations
- Special events coordination
- Office management
The internships offered by the RoughRiders are non-compensated; however, the internship can be used to obtain course credits.
Interns are required to find their own transportation to and from work. The RoughRiders office is at the Cedar Rapids Ice Arena, 1100 Rockford Road SW.
1. Game Night - the game of hockey is an event and much occurs behind the scenes to insure our guests have an enjoyable evening regardless of the outcome. Intern responsibilities on game night will include (but not limited to) the following:
- Helping with in-arena promotions (i.e.: Concourse activities, promotions, and intermission activities) at all RoughRiders home games
- Assist with the Customer Service table in various matters
- Performing other duties as assigned by full-time staff
2. Research - you will be asked to assist in the research of general market information, hockey specific information and corporate partnership information as well as tracking of various media announcements.
- Create literature, ticket sales promotions, and other special interest projects as needed
- Collect and organize game notes, game stats, team rosters and media guides to distribute on game nights
3. Special Projects - depending upon your development and time commitments, you could be asked to create special projects to assist the RoughRiders staff. This could include grassroots marketing programs, advertising community projects.
For additional information about the Cedar Rapids RoughRiders internship program, contact the RoughRiders Front Office at 319-247-0340.